How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed relative or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with numerous health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. These health problems can be eliminated and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very persuasive fact. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might simply not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have an enormous impact on their financial stability, quality of life, and health. It could also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are many volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.